CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Had an interesting converation....

with on of my patients at work today.

I know you are all probably sick of me "complaining" about my son! Please don't ever think that I think he is a bad kid, we are just seriously trying to get used to having a child who is not near as compliant as the first one!

So this patient today (can't use names you know... HIPPA Smippa rules). He was asking me how my son was doing. A lot of my patients have been there from the first days of my pregnancy with Carson, so they tend to keep tabs on us! Anyway, I shared with him how busy Carson is and how he keeps us on our toes. I told him that nearly every time he is told no he can't do something we get a tantrum. So here's where the interesting part starts. I said, ya know, I have always always been a huge advocate of being consistent with your kids, and also if we tell our kids no to something, generally speaking it is something we have thought about and No means NO. Without being too authoritative we pretty much stick to our guns. I swear to you, my son is not the way he is from lack of consistency or the fact that we don't say no enough.

So sticking with this conversation we had today. He said, Boys are entirely different and on top of that all kids are entirely different. Duh I know that, however... what I found so interesting that he said, is this... He said, Carson is just very persistent it sounds like, this is what will someday get him his PhD or his DO (wink wink mom & Raquel) or his college scholarship in athletics or whatever may be right for him. I have to say I agree. It really made me think that I need to be careful and nurture the areas of this child that are so persistent, however... my dilemma obviously is, I have yet to find the proper way to do this. He also said, Kari you watch over the next few months this behavior will change and then you'll be on to something else with him. So anyway, I just wanted to share what I felt was neat coming from a man who has raised 6 kids and all are successful happy functioning members of society and their families! I sure feel like I complain and feel discouraged with Carson so often, but really we enjoy SO much about him. My mom often compares his behavior to mine when I was small. Apparently I was very persistent. Dad, if you read this blog, feel free to leave me a comment. My mom told me to ask you about when you guys had to lock me in my room and sit in front of the door so I would stay in my room where I was supposed to be!

So, I'm on the quest for good books which I think maybe the area I should look at is somewhere in the strong willed child area. What I'm interested in is if any of you have read any good books you think might be helpful for us to take a look at. I'm wide open to suggestions to help channel his energy/persistence for lack of better terms! Right now the way it's going it just feels a little "messy" does that make sense? I want to get a grip on this can you tell?

On another note, Kenedey is sick with the creeping crud. Not fun. She is immunosupressed from the Methotrexate so she's a bit more susceptible to "germs/bugs" and now that the kids are back in school all the little critters are passing bugs around. Yuck. To make a long story short, she is pretty much stuck to the couch and slowing getting better. Thank God kids are so resilient(sp) to this stuff. Kathy brought her, her homework/classwork from school today (Thank you so much Kathy) so she buckled right down and got to work on that when she wasn't sleeping. I guess she slept about 4 hours today off and on. Rest is a good thing.

My next thing I'm working on with her is I'm going to be getting on her with reading and meeting marking period goals for reading. She is reading at a 6th grade level and we don't have a lot of books around home in her level. She's bad about starting a book and then getting bored with it and then ditching it for another. That makes it tough when you are supposed to take tests on the books for AR points. So I think maybe on Thurs. Kenedey and I will have a little visit with Kathy (aka Mrs. Bosse) at the library at school and make a list of books she wants to read to meet her 15 for the semester. Ill let you know how that goes!

Sorry, no fun pics to share today, its been a busy one for me and I didn't snap any new ones!

0 comments: