CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

TFT: thoughts for thursday... computer/internet usage

I was reading Heather's Blog (TFT: How in touch are you?). Her post made me really think about something that has been sort of "heavy on my mind" for awhile.

It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I spends a ton of time on the computer. I NEED the internet and different programs I use to:

  • 1) make money for my job (2 different jobs)
  • 2) I sell/buy things on Ebay
  • 3) I blog for 2 blogs
  • 4) I email: this is really the way I keep in contact with my extended family members. Many of them live out of state.

Basically I am curious to see how all of you balance your internet time and usage. I have always enjoyed spending time surfing the net, keeping up with other people's lives, weather that be by myspace, facebook, bloglines, email or whatever. It's honestly time consuming!

I have a routine that I go through every time I get online and its usually like this (in order):

  1. check email
  2. check bloglines
  3. check myspace or facebook if something is in my regular email indicating a message from either of these.
  4. check ebay
  5. check Creative Memories consultant network for updates and other business information.

Then sometimes I add on checking:

  1. Craigslist
  2. Paypal
  3. chat with friends who have messengers (myspace or yahoo) catch up with them
  4. random blog surfing

I really think I need to "cut back" on the time I am spending on the computer and use it only for specific times. My mom and I had a talk a few weeks ago how we sort of wake up in the morning and wait to see what emails we have gotten and a lot of times that sort of sets the tone for the day... meaning there are usually things in the inbox that require business type attention. I find myself checking it several times a day or even hourly just to keep up on things. I was also talking to my up line in creative Memories and she said she does the same thing. Waits for emails so she can stay on top of "work" and keep her customers happy in a quick manner. Email is GREAT for that and I think it's even better than the phone because I can get an answer after checking a few things out or whatever the circumstances might be.

I HATE talking on the phone... unless I am really bored. My mom got after me today because she says I never answer my phone. We have both cell phones and a home phone and honestly I just get sick and tired of getting the dang phone. It rings all the time. Most of the time I leave my cell phone in the car and figure I can return calls when I check my email. I don't like putting my family "on hold" while I take a phone call. However I do know (thank you mom) that it is VERY important to answer your phone especially when you are trying to build a business. I get that and I do try to be a great communicator and promptly return any calls I may have missed. We have caller ID so even if they don't leave a message I know what I have missed.

Anyway... to wrap this post up... I am curious and would like to hear some input from all of you who are balancing phone calls, emails, Internet time, computer time, etc. Do you find it difficult to balance and if you do... have you done anything to restrict your time away from that in an effort to intentionally balance everything else on your plate? What has worked for you? What hasn't worked for you?

editorial note: I went back and spell checked this post before I published it... I just realized that internet stuff/phone stuff has a language all of it's own. (things my spell check didn't like: myspace, texting, paypal, craigslist, Internet, Ebay) imagine trying to tell someone who knew nothing about internet, what you do all day on the internet... that could be interesting to explain!

0 comments: